The Future is Here!

In the 1960's, The Jetsons, an animated show (we still called them cartoons back then) showed life in the 21st century - push button magic, everything easier - until the humans mess things up. The title of this blog is from the opening sequence - when George gets stuck on the automatic dog-walking treadmill. Sometimes I think social media is like that show - a wonderful move into the future, but dragging along enough human nature to mess things up every now and then.
This blog was created for Dr. Frechette's Social Media class; if you are reading this for examples, assignments are in the posts for 2012 - later posts are simply additional examples of the wisdom that comes with age.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Perfect Storm of Tweets




My 21st century homage to Georges de La Tour
And what happens if the groundswell is wrong?

Like many in New England, we were without power for the past couple of days (news flash: lack of electricity has an impact on the use of social media), and as usual during these events, we are hungry for information (as well as incredibly bored with a non-digital lifestyle when thrust upon us).

After going to a social media marketing presentation a while back, I decided to give Twitter a try. I confess, I didn't follow many, but those I did follow I found less than scintillating, and felt that they were simply one step above talking to themselves. During the storm, I think I would appreciated Twitter more if I had a select group to follow (I didn't even bother with any storm hashtags, as I assumed the volume of Tweets would be overwhelming, and I was wondering when I would be able to recharge my phone.)

I am glad, however, that my copy of "Groundswell" is the 11th edition, with an updated Chapter 10: Tapping the Groundswell with Twitter. 

When I first heard about Twitter, it seemed silly. And when I heard one of the Twitter evangelists almost wetting his pants with excitement about the fact that His Local Coffee Shop Could Tweet Him about Specials!!!!!, well, I figured, it's just the end of civilization as we know it. Maybe it's the grumpy old man in me, but I don't want to hear more from entities where I don't have any real personal relationship (and I am not even that enthusiastic about the ones I do have relationships with).

The limit of 140 characters (although I understand they are going to expand that, at least for some set of uses) did seem intriguing. And perfect for celebrities such as the Khardashians, who probably don't know enough words to use up more letters than that.

As with other strategies outlined in Groundswell, I can't quarrel with them, but many of the tactics they ask businesses to employ were (or should have been) done by responsive businesses in the analog era. The difference now is that we have added the elements of speed and visibility.

The example given about Fadra, the mommie-blogger hunting down the "correct" McDonald's action toy may be "feel good" (although curmudgeons like me wonder about parents advertising how happy they are that a corporation has co-opted their kid), I was more impressed with the use of Twitter to provide at least a semblance of immediate resolution and response to issues by companies such as AT&T, which, like other companies can now use Twitter as a formal customer support channel, and Intuit, which was able to build a stronger relationship by providing tax preparation advice.

While engagement with all forms of social media can be mutually beneficial, sometimes it may be adversarial, and in this chapter, the book didn't seem to give good, workable solutions to fighting deliberate misinformation. And then I wonder, are there times when you simply should not engage?

First, a little fun:

 
As a result of Hurricane Sandy, there were postings that demonstrated the lack of accountability and veracity provided when "anyone" can use social media. Tweets and pictures purporting to show effects of the storm that were deliberately faked or were from other weather events, or even from disaster movies quickly appeared:



But it can take a while for the ruse to be exposed. According to the Washington Post:

The Chinese Web has picked up on one of the most popular photos from Hurricane Sandy. It’s from Brigantine, N.J., and purports to show a shark swimming through the town’s flooded streets. It was originally posted by a guy named Kevin McCarty, who earlier posted another shark-in-Jersey photo that TheAtlantic.com’s Alexis Madrigal demonstrated was fake. It’s been shared almost 7,000 times on Facebook and has now made its way over to China, where users on the country’s massive Twitter-like service, Weibo, picked it up. (Spotted by Bloomberg columnist Adam Minter.)
 



You can see a slide show of similar photos at WKYC news.


But it's not all fun

While there was an amusing side to this, there are more serious implications to consider. Particularly as stories "go viral" there can be an assumption of truth (and of course, as time goes by, and more and more fake stories are exposed, it may then reverse and create the assumption that most information through social media is wrong). You can't win.

Slate reported on the false story about NY Stock exchange being flooded, how the tweeter was outed by Buzzfeed, and the implications for effects of false stories on financial markets: BuzzFeed Outs Twitter User Believed To Be Behind Sandy's Biggest Lie, by Josh Voorhees, posted Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012, at 1:00 PM ET

The Sandy-themed whopper that caused the most fuss was that the floor of the New York Stock Exchange was under three feet of water, something that was reported as fact by CNN and others late last night before Twitter users moved quickly to self-correct the false report.

No comments:

Post a Comment